Sniffle, Cough, Sneeze and Giggle

Ivan seems to have a cold. I hope that’s all it is. The way his eyes are watering I’m a little concerned that he has allergies. Do babies get allergy symptoms?

He’s been very good about it and I’ve had him all over the place as I go about my busy days. Friday he had a slight fever and acted a little uncomfortable but seemed better by the evening so we went to dinner at the Button home as planned. Their girls were showing signs of having the same thing anyway so we shared the love. Yesterday, I had a bridal shower to go to and I had the best time. I walked in with Ivan and got all sorts of affirmative greetings from the other women. Ivan was passed around the room and though he was a little sniffly he had a wonderful time. He was absolutely perfect in terms of behavior and giggled through his sniffles with pleasure. I sat next to a woman who used to attend church with us and while catching up she ministered to me so sweetly. She was so encouraging about me and my boys and how blessed we are and told me so confidently that she saw a great man of God in my little Ivan. I knew that…but it sure is nice to hear it. Ivan was good through church this morning too and got through service without incident. In terms of him feeling poorly…tonight was probably the worst, and it turned out to be just fine in the end. We went to the mall and played Glowgolf. It’s an indoor miniature golf course with black light and glowing features. Not exactly a great course but interesting and fun for a small group. We went with our Sunday school class and Ivan was doing great until he got hungry. That led to a chain of events that weren’t remarkable but were somewhat frustrating for mommy.

I gave him a cold bottle because there was nowhere to heat water. He drank all but about two oz. He fussed and was not easily pacified so I got in close and took a whiff…sure enough…smelly diaper. I walked down to the family restroom where I discovered his little shirt was all wet. Not from the diaper but rather from his bottle and drool. He’s congested so he pulled the bottle out a lot and he was just soaked. So…I looked in the special “extra clothes pocket” in the diaper bag and realized I had nothing he could wear because he had needed an extra outfit during church this morning. The only thing in my “extra clothes pocket” was a dirty shirt. No good. I remembered the Glowgolf place was right across from Gymboree and I headed that way. I asked the girls at the counter for some assistance and explained my dilemma. They were so sweet. One girl in particular searched quickly and efficiently for something on the sale racks and pulled out about four outfits that were very cute and the right size but even on sale they were all over $10.00. I suddenly felt caught in a trap. How do I tell this very helpful girl that she’s wasting her time on me? I just wasn’t going to spend $10.00 on a shirt I didn’t have to have long term. Ivan has plenty of clothes. I suddenly had the queerest notion that I wanted to be at Wal-Mart. Strange. Anyway…she suddenly pulled out a long sleeved onesie type shirt and said…this has long sleeves but it will be really cheap. I said how cheap and she looked it up. $3.99. Sold. Relief. So I changed the boy’s shirt and headed back to my golf game. I caught up with the rest of our little gang and Kris and I took turns handing Ivan back and forth to each other to keep him happy while we tried to play. I was frustrated. Not with Ivan at all…he couldn’t help that he felt bad. I was just frustrated with the situation. I don’t like being in situations where I feel like I’m dancing between two scenario’s of annoyance for the people around me. I could either leave him in the stroller and let him wail in misery (and he was miserable), I could pack up the boys and insist that we had to get them home, breaking up the get together that we were supposed to be leading, or I could stick it out, do my dance and hope the crowd would be understanding. So, I danced. Part of the problem, at least for me, was the heat in the room and the fact that it was before dinner. By the time we were back in the more comfortable part of the mall I felt much better about all of it. Dinner helped too and by the time we left I only remembered a very nice evening with new friends. I seriously felt like we had had a great evening.

When we got home I fed him again and put him to bed where he is sleeping peacefully though a little loud from his congestion. Poor baby. He has remained happy as usual and smiled for me so sweetly tonight after I fed him. What a great kid.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *